Sir John Harvey-Jones. Sir Edmund Hillary. May the both rest in peace.
The world waits, breath baited, for a third dead knight in order to restore the balance of the universe. So far, one has not been forthcoming, and if I were Sir Cliff Richard, I would be shitting myself.
Or not, if you believe those colostomy bag rumours.
Any road up, the whole famous-people-buying-the-farm thing has reminded me of the site I used to run before this whole Scaryduck thing took off. It was called:
It was mildly successful, and I had over 150 players by the time the whole thing *cough* died a death, simply because the whole thing required an enormous excel spreadsheet to administer, and frankly chewed up all my waking hours to keep running.
When the Queen Mum died, I was up until 2am three nights running updating the scores. The selfish swan-eating moo.
So: Time to revive the idea, only simpler and less time consuming.
I invite you, then, to tempt the cold hand of fate and enter:
The rules are simple, but may get extremely complicated once I start making it up as you go along.
1. Choose THREE celebrities who you think may cark it in the next twelve months. Ten points per stiff
2. Choose one additional TRAGEDY PICK - a celebrity less than fifty years of age who you think may shuffle off this mortal coil before the end of 2008. Twenty points per stiff. Your list, then will have FOUR names on it.
3. Assuming that the old duffer's on his last legs: Using your skill and judgment, guess the date in 2008 that Prince Philip will join his royal ancestors. Twenty points for the nearest guess, with points awarded on a sliding scale for near-misses.
4. On the death of one of your team, you may select a new victim
5. The stalking and bloody assassination of celebrities in the pursuit of this game is actively encouraged
6. Extra points awarded - at my discretion - for ironic deaths
7. The following "death's door" celebrities are excluded from the game: Former Indonesian dictator Suharto, Death Row prisoners, anybody else I might add to this list
7.5 No minors. We may be sick, but we're not that sick. (Added 16 January)
8. I am the sole arbiter of what constitutes a celebrity. This includes film, TV and music stars; sports men and women; politicians; people famous for being famous. "Colin from Work" is not a celebrity.
Please leave your entries in the comments box by 31st January 2008, or email me at scaryduck [AT] fastmail [DOT] fm. The game starts immediately and will run until 31st December 2008, and a small, entirely worthless prize will be given to the winner.
Your scores, game news and loving obituaries will be posted on these pages.
Yes, I know. I'm a sick bastard. So are you for reading this far. Get in!