Monday 19 January 2009

Tony Hart 1925-2009

Possibly the saddest of the recent slew of celebrity deaths that has seen the famous dropping like flies.

I was born in the 1960s, so grew up with Tony Hart on my television for the whole of my youth and adulthood.

He inspired me - and thousands of others - to take up art and to do something other than just sit in front of your television set. Unfortunately, I was crap at art, but you can't win them all.

Hart was an officer in the Gurkha Rifles, before joining the BBC. His Vision On and Take Hart programmes became the stuff of legend, and it was only ill-health, coupled with the dumbing down of youth TV that forced the great man to give up his calling.

A sad, sad loss for British culture.

John Mortimer: The death of the great defence lawyer and author last Friday scores ten point for Richard. Another great name consigned to the dusty shelves of literary history.

No comments: